Saturday 10 August 2019

Monster Magnet - Mindfucker (2018)


Delving back into the realms of unfamiliarity, and my first album with an expletive as the album name to be reviewed, Mindfucker is the tenth studio album by Stoner rock and heavy metal band Monster Magnet. And with those genres, it makes the style of it similar to Clutch's Book of Bad Decisions, which is an album that I really enjoyed, but I don't think I can say the same about this one. With it being a kind of rock I don't exactly listen to, and some songs being dragged out longer than they should, makes this an album not exactly set up for the greatest review.

The least I can say is that I'm unimpressed. The album suffers from the same problems Rainier Fog has, thus letting me down. The song "Drowning" felt like it was going on for far too long, considering it is 7:21 in length. "Drowning" is also the only song to have a different, calmer style, whilst everything else is guitars and drums that sound like they're from 70s-80s. Some of the song's vocals, brought to you by frontman Dave Wyndorf, were oftentimes drowned out and made incomprehensible by the loud backing tracks featured in some of the songs. I went into listening to this with high hopes and they were not fulfilled. I hope that Monster Magnet's albums aren't all like this, otherwise that would be greatly disappointing.

To draw a conclusion, I was a fair bit disappointed. Mindfucker, in my opinion, was a mediocre performance with songs I couldn't connect to. I'm unaware of what Monster Magnet's other albums are like, but this one has set a low bar. Not the greatest album I've listened to, that's for sure.

Favourite Track: "Mindfucker"
Rating: 3 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment