Sunday 11 August 2019

Metallica - ...And Justice For All (1988)


Heading into my first review about an album and band that falls solely under the Metal genre, and my first review about an album suggested to me by a friend, I bring you ...And Justice for All, the fourth studio album by legendary heavy metal band Metallica. With 9 songs lasting long enough to make the album over an hour long, this energetic, fast-paced, hard-hitting album shows to me that Metallica are as good as people say they are.

With heavy metal songs, you have to expect no breaks from the onslaught of guitars and drums that are coming your way, and when performed well, they can be amazing to listen to. Metallica definitely lived up to that in this album. I went in to this thinking it was going to be very scream-y like other heavy metal albums from the 1980s, but I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it's not like that at all. The vocals are more toned down, allowing for easier listening, in my opinion. They're still jam-packed with energy, and that's what I like about it.

The backing tracks are also full of energy. The drums pierced through the guitars, creating a banging feeling in your head, which is something I like with songs like these. Hard-hitting, powerful songs get me going. The longest song on the album, "To Live Is To Die", has the most diverse set of instruments featured within it. It features an acoustic guitar at the beginning and at the end, and a violin sounding instrument around 5 minutes in, as well as your usual electric guitars and drums.

At the end of the day, ...And Justice For All is an album with an exceptional performance, and the hard-hitting music I've come to enjoy. It was very pleasant to listen to, with each track having a unique feel to it. Great album, great songs.

Favourite Tracks: All
Rating: 9 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment