Wednesday 5 June 2019

Alice in Chains - Rainier Fog (2018)


Hello, and welcome to Rock On!, a blog about my opinions and reviews on albums and the like in the Rock and Metal genres. I'd like to expand and add to this blog as much as I can. I am very interested in music and what it has to offer and I'd like to share it with the world! The material that I will be covering in the blog is music that is sorted under the Rock and Metal genres, with the albums, EPs, and singles being from a more recent point in time. I will review older music, but the majority of it will be more recent content.

Starting off in unfamiliar territory, Alice in Chains’ latest album Rainier Fog offers 10 tracks that go from good to mediocre and back to good again. As I am not familiar with Alice in Chains’ content, I didn’t exactly know what to expect but I felt let down by some parts of the album. The start and end tracks were what kept the album afloat, with them having a great blend of vocals and instruments, whilst the middle felt a bit clumsy, ranging from slightly clumsy to the vocals being completely incomprehensible. The end tracks were what saved the album from true disrepair.

From my perspective, some of the tracks, like “Drone” and “Maybe”, felt like they were going on forever, in which these tracks were not the most fun to listen to. William DuVall’s and Jerry Cantrell’s vocals felt in complete contrast to the guitar riffs and sequences that they were playing in these songs. The worst song for vocals was “Deaf Ears Blind Eyes” as they were completely drowned out by the guitars and drums. Absolutely no connection was felt between me and the song; it felt mediocre at best. That’s not to say that they were all bad. Tracks like “Rainier Fog”, “Never Fade”, and “All I Am” were a pleasant experience and overall great tracks. The instruments worked well, the vocals worked well, and I felt myself tapping my feet and, at some points, headbanging to them as they offered some pretty good material to listen to.

Overall, Rainier Fog is an average album with some less than average songs. Some of the material perked the album up but most of it felt prolonged and didn’t need to be as long as it did. As I said before, not all tracks were bad. Particularly the end tracks were the best, and are what saved it from being a real disaster, in my opinion. It's not the best album I've listened to but for what it's worth, it was not bad.



Favourite tracks: "Rainier Fog", "Never Fade", "All I Am"
Rating: 5 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment