Saturday 8 June 2019

Skillet - Unleashed (2016)


For this review, I was contemplating reviewing either the regular edition or the deluxe edition - Unleashed Beyond. However, there's a couple of tracks in the deluxe edition which I haven't listened to enough to fully appreciate them, so I settled for the regular edition. And with the announcement of their upcoming tenth studio album Victorious, I thought it would be a good time to review Unleashed, Christian rock band Skillet's ninth studio album and, quite frankly, one of my favourite albums to date. Each song contained within this album is so different from the last, ranging from an energy-filled punch in "Famous" to a more relaxed, calm tone in "Watching for Comets".

Continuing the theme of 12 songs to an album, started with Rise, each of them is an absolute tune from start to finish. John L. Cooper's and Jen Ledger's vocals, just like Neil Fallon's in Book of Bad Decisions, are astounding and coupled with the backing tracks, add enough grit and power to songs that they become almost electrifying. Unleashed is also really cool because the music video for the song "Back From the Dead" is a direct sequel to the events of "Monster" from their album Awake. The overall feel of the album is an ecstatic one throughout, whilst offering times to calm down and chill out before getting right back into the action. "Watching for Comets" was a song I wasn't particularly fond of, at the time of release, but it has grown on me as time has progressed.

I find it funny that I, an atheist, have a Christian rock band's album listed as one of my favourites, but I do find it frustrating at times. Reason I find it frustrating is because I can't fully relate the song lyrics. However, with music as good as this, I don't see a reason as to why anyone can't enjoy it. I have been listening to Skillet for quite some time, and each of their albums is better than the last as they offer material that hits harder and harder as time goes on. I can't wait for what Skillet has in store for Victorious.

Fun Fact: In almost a couple weeks, I listened to "Feel Invincible" nearly 150 times. It felt like a lot at the time.

Favourite Tracks: All
Rating: 10 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment