Friday 7 June 2019

Clutch - Book of Bad Decisions (2018)


Well within the realm of unfamiliarity, and laced with all the guitar solos you could ever dream of, blues rock band Clutch offers an album that you just can't pass up. While the album's rock style isn't my favourite, Book of Bad Decisions is a jet-pack joyride from start to finish. What astounded me the most on this album is Neil Fallon's vocals. The backing tracks added a whole tonne of flavour but Fallon's majestic vocals made the songs almost 100% better. As I have not listened to other Clutch material, I'm unable to compare it with their previous material, but it has definitely given me a great impression of just how great their music is.

15 tracks, 15 astonishing tunes to fill up an hour. The type of Rock I listen to is vastly different to this, but I do have to say that these songs are otherworldly. When I first heard Fallon's vocals, I was immediately hooked (similar to me listening to Skillet on WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2010 for the first time). The lyrical content to some of these songs, like the lyrics for "In Walks Barbarella", may seem like nonsense but how they were sung added a whole lot of fruity essence to impressively performed songs. The backing tracks with the drums and guitars were pristine and the leaps into the choruses were mind-blowing; the best leaps being the ones featured in "Lorelei". However, some songs had some slight faults. Namely "How to Shake Hands" featured a guitar riff at the beginning which did not resonate well with me at all. The vocals in "How to Shake Hands" didn't quite grab my attention, either, nor did they in "Vision Quest", but other than that, they are really solid songs all-round.

As a conclusion, there really isn't much to say. As I went in, I had no idea as to what was coming my way, but I am so glad that I did listen to this album. Fun, lively, and has some absolute bangers. Highly recommend.


Favourite Tracks: All
Rating: 8 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment